Centura Health RN Patient Safety Specialist Porter Adventist Hospital in Denver, Colorado
Located in central Denver’s historic Washington Park residential neighborhood, associates at Porter Adventist Hospital enjoy beautiful surroundings, leading technology, outstanding leadership and easy access to everything great central Denver has to offer. As a full-service Magnet® designated, 368-bed acute-care referral center specializing in cancer care, joint replacement, spinal care, advanced robotic surgery and organ transplantation, Porter Adventist Hospital treats some of the region’s most complex medical cases and surgery patients. Our Heart and Vascular Institute is the first and only program in Colorado to receive full Heart Failure Accreditation status from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care. We have also received numerous awards and honors including: The Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award (2014); top 50th orthopedic program ranking by U.S. News & World Report with high performing honors in eight specialties (2014); an “A” rating from the Leapfrog Group for Patient Safety (2014), as well as many others. The Porter tradition of blending science and spirit began more than 75 years ago by Denver businessman Henry Porter with his generous donation after he experienced care at a Seventh Day Adventist Facility in CA and sought to bring that same philosophy of care to Denver. If you are ready for a career where the work you do truly transcends the walls of a hospital, we invite you to learn more at: http://www.porterhospital.org/
_Job Description/Job Posting ID: 109654_
_Recruiter Contact:_ MandyGray@Centura.org
_Clinic/Department:_* 8673 PAH QUALITY MANAGMENT *
_Hospital:_* PORTER ADVENTIST HOSPITAL *
_Schedule: FT Days_
Works across departments, health disciplines, and other facilities to promote patient safety and reduce risks for patients, families, and staff. Responsibilities include managing the electronic occurrence reporting system, conducting investigations related to adverse events, designing action plans, coaching/consulting staff related to safety improvements, and monitoring safety outcomes through data analysis and safety reports. Will report directly to the Manager of the Patient Safety Department.
Bachelor’s degree required. Certification in Risk Management, Patient Safety, or Quality preferred. Masters degree in Nursing or health related field preferred.
Work Experience Required
4 years experience as an RN, with 1-2 years in a medical-surgical or critical care setting preferred.
Experience across acute care, ambulatory, and/or home health settings is highly desirable.
1 year experience in data analysis/reporting, preferably in a healthcare setting.
1 year experience leading or facilitating patient safety, risk management, or quality projects/activities.
Experience in staff education, information technology (IT) training, or nursing informatics is highly desirable.
Current RN License, State of Colorado
• Collaborates with leaders to promote a culture of safety and to help plan, implement, and evaluate the organization’s Patient Safety plan.
• Participates in patient safety rounds, participates in teams/committees, and conducts Root Cause Analyses or Critical Event Analyses for adverse safety events.
• Assists in the orientation of new employees to the patient safety/risk management functions of the Patient Safety Department, and to the National Patient Safety Goals.
• Prepares presentations for patient safety/risk presentations, as requested.
• Gathers, trends, and reports safety event data to the leadership, through the leadership structure, and to action teams working to improve patient safety and the quality of care.
• Develops patient safety indicators and internal tracking systems to facilitate the tracking of outcomes for committee reports and reporting to regulatory bodies.
• Collaborates across departments, disciplines, and outside agencies to interview staff, review records, and investigate safety events.
• Maintains and utilizes the electronic occurrence reporting system to regularly review safety events and implement or monitor appropriate follow-up, based on clinical judgment, a safety evaluation, and a liability assessment.
• Develop action plans to make situations immediately safe, to correct the breakdown in system processes, to mitigate potential and actual professional liability, and to reduce harm to patients and staff.
• Consults with managers/directors, and other staff to analyze data, identify variances from standard/best practice, and determine how to minimize risk and optimize patient safety across different settings.
• Coaches managers in patient safety/risk reduction strategies to resolve issues found in occurrence reports.
• Trains staff to use the electronic occurrence reporting system, and provides frequent patient safety updates, to keep staff current on operational changes.
• Appropriately refers medical quality of care issues to the Medical Staff Office and Chief Medical Officer, as appropriate.
• Collaborates with manager to notify leaders when a serious adverse event occurs, and report to the State of Colorado, the Centura Director of Claims and Insurance, and other outside regulatory bodies, as appropriate.
• Assists in the processing of automobile and property loss claims through the Centura system.
• Collaborates with the Patient Safety Manager to facilitate Catholic Health Initiative Projects designed to improve patient safety/risk management processes and outcomes.
• Carries out miscellaneous duties, as needed, to support the goals of the Patient Safety Department and regulatory survey needs.
• Utilizes appropriate educational/training resources and interacts with professional colleagues, leaders within Centura Health, and others to continually grow professionally and improve skills related to patient safety/risk management.
• Communicates sensitive information related to safety events confidentially and appropriately.
*This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned.
X Sedentary work -(prolonged periods of sitting and exert up to 10lbs force occasionally)
Important notification to applicants as of Nov. 20, 2014: Effective Jan. 1, 2015, Centura Health will no longer hire tobacco users in Colorado and Kansas. The change to our policy does not apply to associates hired on or before Dec. 31, 2014. Centura Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.