U.S. Army Medical Command Physician Assistant in Fort Carson, Colorado
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position: This position is located in Department of Surgery, Orthopedic Service at Evans Army Community Hospital. Serves as a direct specialty health care provider in the capacity of a credentialed Physician Assistant; providing specialty care services to patients ranging from the ages of one year of age through geriatric. The incumbent performs a variety of professional direct health care clinical duties within the field of specialty. Responsible for the independent examination, diagnosis and treatment within personal credentials and privileges delineated by the Medical Treatment Facility (MTF). Assignments include a wide range of activities including assessing, planning, evaluating, and modifying the treatment of patients in various locations throughout the MTF.
Who May Apply:
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) - Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Current Permanent Federal Civilian Employee (non-DOD)
- Former Federal Employee, eligible for reinstatement
- Eligible due to Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP)
- Eligible under Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
- Veterans with a service-connected disability of 30% or more
- Eligible for military spouse preference under Executive Order 13473
- Eligible for family member appointment under Executive Order 12721
- Eligible for NAF/AAFES Interchange Agreement
- Eligible for Persons with Disabilities
As a Physician Assistant, you will provide diagnostic and therapeutic medical care and services under the guidance of the Physician. The work requires you to have knowledge of specific observation and examination procedures, and the ability to perform diagnostic and therapeutic tasks. You will conduct examinations and observations of patients by performing such duties as taking case histories, conducting physical examinations, and ordering laboratory studies during outpatient clinical visits. As directed by a physician, you may perform procedures such as give injections or other medication, apply or change dressing, perform lumbar punctures, or suture minor lacerations.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional business travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current Federal Employees, Former Federal Employees, Overseas Employees, Merit Promotion, Status Candidates, ICTAP, VEOA, 30% Disabled, Schedule A, Individuals with Disabilities, Military Spouses
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.
- NCCPA certification is required.
- Graduation from a Physician Assistant Education program.
- This is an Inclement Weather Essential position.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document. **
Basic Requirements: All applicants must meet the following basic requirements for all grade levels:
- Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education.
- Successful completion of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification. Applicants who meet the above basic requirements may qualify for the following grade level if they meet the specialized experience requirements described below.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements, you also must have the following:
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: performing medical screening examinations on patients of all ages as well as, reviewing medical history, prescribing medication, interpreting radiographs and lab results, and/or diagnosing medical conditions on orthopedic patients.
This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Ability to treat patients
- Ability to prescribe treatment plans
- Ability to communicate
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade (or equivalent).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Pre-employment drug test is required.
- Pre-employment physical is required.
- This position has specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties require interaction with children and youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age on a recurring basis.
- Hepatitis B immunization is required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is an Inclement Weather Essential.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 53 position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474617700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-26
Salary: $72,751 to $94,579 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 12
Series: 0603 Physician Assistant
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: SWEI179575941861856R2
Control number: 474617700