Geological Survey Physical Scientist GS-1301-15 (CTAP/ICTAP - KH) in Lakewood, Colorado
About the Agency
*Are you an Administrative professional looking for a position in the Federal workforce? *Do you have a passion for providing customer service? *Do you want to be part of an important aspect of the Federal Government, helping with exciting and groundbreaking incentives? If you answered "yes" to these questions, then this is the job for you! Come join the USGS and start doing the job you've always dreamed of!
Why Is It Great To Work For The USGS? Embark on an exciting future! From the peaks of the highest mountains to the depths of the deepest seas, the U.S. Geological Survey has career opportunities that make a difference in both the lives of others and in the environment. Would you like to join the more than 10,000 scientists, technicians, and support staff of the USGS who are working in more than 400 locations throughout the United States? Apply today! As the Nation's largest water, earth, and biological science and civilian mapping agency, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) collects, monitors, analyzes, and provides scientific understanding about natural resource conditions, issues, and problems. The diversity of our scientific expertise enables us to carry out large-scale, multi-disciplinary investigations and provide impartial, timely, and relevant scientific information to resource managers, planners, and other customers related to: the health of our ecosystems and environment; natural hazards that threaten us; natural resources we rely on, and; the impact of climate and land-use changes. For more information about the USGS please visit http://www.usgs.gov
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
This is a temporary appointment not to exceed 1 year that may be extended for 1 additional year without further competition.
Salary: $129,227 (Step 01) to $161,900 (Step 10)
As a*Physical Scientist within the Office of Science Quality and Integrity, some of your specific duties will include:*
- Serves as the primary support for the Department Scientific Integrity Officer in the development of the Department scientific integrity policy and its implementation.
- Serves as lead support for the Scientific Integrity Council, including development/providing for training needs, communication, and other support functions.
- Serves as liaison the the Department's Science Advisors Council, regarding implementation of scientific integrity programs throughout the Department.
- Presents professional scientific and policy papers and writes scientific articles for professional journals.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Surplus and displaced individuals eligible under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) in the local commuting area of the duty location advertised in this vacancy announcement.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
- Must be CTAP/ICTAP eligible.
For information on basic qualifications, please click on the following: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/sw/quals/1301.html.
In addition to the basic education requirements, you must have 1-year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Examples may include planning/developing scientific programs; serving as senior expert in physical science work for which technical problem definitions, methods, and/or data were highly incomplete, controversial, or uncertain; representing an authoritative source of consultation for others; resolving significant physical science program issues; long range and controversial proposals and defending findings in public/high level forums.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
What To Expect Next
- If you are rated as one of the most highly qualified candidates, you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30-45 days of the closing date of this announcement. You will be notified via email of the outcome. You can also go to "My Account" within USAJOBS to review your Application Status.
Review our benefits
- Temporary appointees expected to work at least 130 hours per month for at least 90 days will be eligible to enroll in a Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) plan. Individuals eligible under this rule receive the full government contribution to their premiums regardless of work schedule and will also be eligible to participate in the Flexible Spending Accounts and Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program. Temporary appointees are not covered by the Federal Employee Retirement System and are ineligible for Federal life, dental, or vision insurance.
- USGS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval. The official worksite for the selectee is the duty station identified in this vacancy announcement. The selectee will typically report to this duty location on a regular and recurring weekly basis.
- For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/telework.html.
- Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
- USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) and may not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirect interest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b) have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirect interests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business with the United States; or (c) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474584200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-17 to 2017-07-21
Salary: $129,227 to $161,900 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 15
Series: 1301 General Physical Science
Appointment type: Intermittent
Work schedule: Temporary
Job announcement number: RES-2017-0240
Control number: 474584200